{Menu Plan Monday: The Fall of the Food Hoarder}

I get a lot of questions and comments about menu planning, mostly from people who wish they could menu plan, but don't seem to think that they have the time or patience to do so. I've been menu planning for a little over a year now (wow...can that be true?!), and I thought that yeah, it probably helped, but it was more of a fun, 'housewife-y' thing to do, right? Definitely. Not.

We returned from our honeymoon on December
3rd (remember these happy people? --->),
and I thought that I was being oh-so-organized by typing up a menu in iCal on our plane ride back from San Juan. Being that I was not armed, as usual, with my cookbooks, internet access, calendar of events and appointments, or trusty recipe box, this menu was hastily written from standby recipes. While this is not a bad way to develop a menu, it helps if you actually follow through and buy the groceries that you need. The best laid plans...

Many of my days this month were spent Christmas shopping, and subsequently, many of our nights held oatmeal for dinner. We even made a Run For The Border a few times (not that I EVER complain about that). That dreaded 5 o'clock feeling took over me more than once this past month. You know the one. The 'what's-for-dinner' question looms over your head, followed by the 'oh-crap-nothing-is-thawed' realization. Luckily I'm somewhat of a food hoarder and we always have oatmeal, powdered milk, eggs, canned goods, as well as other basics in the house, but these still pale in comparison to a solid, well-planned and home-cooked meal. Lesson learned: always plan - and stick to - your menu!

I invite you to take some time in this new year and make out a menu plan. It can be for a week, two weeks, a month, whatever works for you. Start simple - what are some of your favorite meals, your 'go-to' recipes? Write them down, making sure to take into account any night where you might plan to eat out or be away from home, check for any ingredients you might need, and make ONE trip to the store. You're halfway done! now, as long as you refer to the menu once a day or so, and remember to thaw or prepare anything that might need a little extra time, you're on the homestretch to having a home-cooked meal every night of the week, no Beefy 5-Layer Burritos needed. So, what are you having for dinner this week?



Monday: Chicken cordon bleu

Tuesday: Turkey burgers

Wednesday: Tacos

Thursday: Beef stroganoff

Friday: Crescent pizza calzone

Saturday: Meatloaf and mashed turnips

Sunday: Wings & Caesar salad

1 comment:

  1. I learned to do this when my son started growing like a weed around age 6, mostly because he would eat the dinner I prepared and be hungry for another entire meal an hour later. I had to have double meal plans!

    Now I keep a stash of garbanzo beans, microwavable brown rice and pasta sauce handy for nights when I forget to plan something. I mix the three with some lowfat sour cream and its wonderful! Great post!

    ReplyDelete