{Potter Predicament & The King and I}

We Finstads are big Harry Potter fans. Huge. Borderline obsessed. However, the recent release of the film 'The King's Speech' (our newest film obsession, for obvious reasons) has caused a bit of discord in our lives. You see, the worst part of having an obsession with the Potter franchise is not the expense of the books, DVDs, and other minutia, nor is it the hours lost that are spent gaping open-mouthed at the television as Harry defeats He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named yet again, nor is it even dealing with non-Potterphiles, or worse - AntiPotters. No, ladies and gentlemen, my greatest loss is the ability to watch any of the HP actors in their other works and see them as anything but their beloved wizarding characters. Since several of the actors are also in TKS, as well as other recent blockbusters, I'm having a bit of a mental battle. A few examples...


Michael Gambon as meanie King George V? I think not, Dumbledore!


Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill? Get real, Pettigrew!


David Thewlis as Nazi-enabling Father in 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas'? Please, Lupin...


Professor Slughorn, just what do you think you're playing at, acting as Bridget Jones' dad? Get back to your potions classroom!

And please, Gary Oldman as ANYTHING other than Sirius Black? I think not.


The only exception I have is Helena Bonham Carter. Perhaps because I can so easily relate to her as the King's wife in 'The King's Speech', as she stands by her stammering husband.


How blessed are we that this is currently the biggest threat to our sanity? :)

3 comments:

  1. Ah, such a whimsical sense of humor . . . .
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, but what fun is life without a little whimsy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this same problem! I had to turn off a movie Sirius was in because he didn't mention Harry or James or Lily at all and I thought it was callous of him to forget about Harry.

    ReplyDelete